[CIG-SHORT] Gravity on GeoLocalCart System

Cecep Pratama great.pratama at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 11:45:29 PDT 2016

Dear Pylith Developers,

I used pylith to simulate the static simulation with prescribed slip on buried fault plane. I made 3D mesh based on Earth-centered, earth-fixed coordinate system. However, I got unrealistic result when compare the simulation result with and without gravity feature. I am not sure if my gravity setting goes wrong or not, but I only set the gravity using default setting. I attached the result and cfg file (wgravity = with gravity, wogravity = without gravity). I also attached the error.log in one of the folder when I tried to turn on gravity using

use_gravity = true

as written at 6.5 section on the manual. So, I changed with

gravity_field = spatialdata.spatialdb.GravityField

and I could not understand the result since it produce unrealistic large displacement than if I turned off the gravity setting.

Please kindly advise if there is something wrong with my setting and cfg file.

Thank you

Regards,
Cecep