[CIG-SHORT] Spherical 3d gravity initial stress

Demian Gomez demiang at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 08:42:17 PST 2016

Brad,

Sorry to bother again, but I am still having some issues with the
simplegriddb. I created 3 spatialdbs (one for each layer) and first tried
to use them with query_type = nearest. Everything worked fine, but as I
expected, the solution shows large displacements because the grid is not
fine enough to approximate linearly increasing stress as a function of
depth using the nearest interpolation scheme. I therefore changed
query_type to linear which should produce better results. Pylith loads
layer1 in just a few seconds but when it starts with layer2 it freezes. The
CPUs are still doing something (12 cores @ 100% each), but I left it for 12
hours and nothing happened. Moreover, thinking that there could be a
problem with the spatialdb for layer2, I used the spatialdb for layer1 in
layer2, which should produce an error because the cells are outside of the
grid. However, again Pylith freezes at:

 -- Initializing integrator for material 'layer2'.

If I put in layer1 query_type = linear and layer2 and layer3 as nearest it
works fine (but large displacements, ~250 m).

I've attached my .cfg files. I debuged then to see if I was unintentionally
changing the spatialdb somewhere else in the files back to simpledb (using
pylith stress_guide.cfg
--timedependent.materials.layer2.db_initial_stress.help-properties) but
that seems to be ok. Maybe there's something you can recommend I can test
to try to figure out what is going on.

Thank you,
Demián

--