[CIG-SHORT] elapsed time concerns

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Nov 22 10:19:04 PST 2016

Alberto,

Cells with dimensions 2km x 2km x 0.1km have a very poor aspect ratio.
They will certainly degrade the rate of convergence and affect the
accuracy of the results. Skewing cells so they conform to the fault
should be okay as long as the sides have about equal dimension and the
angles are greater than 45 degrees. Aspect ratio and/or condition number
mesh quality metrics can be used in both cases to assess the quality of
you mesh.