[CIG-SHORT] Stress issue with spherical model

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Nov 28 10:17:31 PST 2016

Demian,

I don't quite follow your through process in trying to verify your
problem setup. The process I would use is (1) verify that the gravity
field you are getting is what you expect, (2) the initial stresses you
are specifying in the spatial database match what PyLith is using, (3)
check to make sure the initial stresses balance the gravitational body
forces.

For (1) un a geocentric coordinate system, GravityField will use the
radial direction from the origin as the direction of the gravity field.
This needs to match your assumptions for setting up the initial stresses.

For (2) as Charles mentioned you can verify what initial stresses PyLith
is using by turning off gravity and not having any deformation. The
stress field output should match your initial stresses as given in the
spatial database.

If you have questions about the transformations among coordinate
systems, use the Proj.4 command line tools cs2cs and proj.

You can also use the Python interface to run queries of the
GravityField, do coordinate transformations, etc. See
examples/meshing/exodus_add_properties.py for an example of doing a
spatial database query from a Python script.