[CIG-SHORT] Question about accuracy in Pylith

Demian Gomez demiang at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 13:56:08 PDT 2016

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your help. I've been using an analytic function to have a graded
tetmesh (as in the example in the meshing directory). I also tried
smoothing the mesh using the iterative approach in the examples:

${condnum=2.0}
${loop(4)}
volume all smooth scheme condition number beta {condnum} cpu 2
smooth volume all
${condnum=condnum-0.1}
${endloop}

I've noticed that while the smoothing reduces the number of elements with
distorted shapes, it also tends to make a few of them worse. For example, I
start with a mesh where the maximum condition number is, say, 4. I apply
smoothing and after the process is over, the maximum condition number is
now 7. It seems that this problem occurs near the intersection of the fault
plane and each of the layers of my model (see figure; meshed surfaces are
the fault interface). Since the fault dip angle is ~ 18 degrees, I have a
sort of wedge where the elements tend to have larger condition numbers.

I already tried to refine the mesh around the curve where the fault plane
intersects the surface and the layer and then apply smoothing, but that
didn't help much. I did multiple experiments and, at these locations, I
can't make the condition number < ~3 no matter what I do.

I also obtained a stress profile and the mesh quality on that same profile,
as suggested by Brad. The mesh condition number is actually very decent at
the location of the profile (never exceeds 1.5), but the stress shows lots
of kinks (see attached plots; no axis labels, sorry, but X is distance from
some reference in the Paraview profile and Y either stress or quality). I
also checked that the condition number is < 2 around the location where I
take the profiles. Therefore, I am assuming that the high condition numbers
at the fault are distorting my results everywhere.

Do you have any suggestions on how can I solve this problem? It seems that
I must be doing something wrong since I haven't seen anybody with this type
of problems.

Thanks,
Demián

PS: Regarding Tabrez' comment, my solution is always converging.

--
*Dr. Demián D. Gómez*
Postdoctoral Researcher
email: gomez.124 at osu.edu