[CIG-SHORT] Stable time step for Quasi-static simulations

Josimar Alves da Silva jsilva.mit at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 18:14:54 PDT 2017

Dear PyLith developers,

I am going through the PyLith manual (version 2.2.0) but I have a question
regarding the stable time step computation that is mentioned on page 63 and
64.

It is not clear for me how the stable time step is computed for the
Quasi-static case. For the dynamic case it is clear.

Assume a simulation that is quasi-static and all the materials are elastic,
some questions that I have are:

1) How is the stable time step computed ? Does it depend on the grid size ?

2) I am under the impression that if the user request a time step that is
larger than the stable one, then PyLith reverts it to the stable dt. Is it
possible to save simulation results at every time step, including the
stable ones, and not only the time steps requested on the .cfg file ?

3) Does the number of iterations for convergence is related to the stable
time step or to the user requested time step ? Example: if I run a
simulation from time 0 to 100 years in time steps of 1 year; and then
another simulation from 0 to 100 year in time step of 50 years. If the
stable time step is the same then the number of iterations would  be the
same for converge (if everything else if keep the same) ?

thank you in advance,
Josimar