[CIG-SHORT] Question about normal slip of points along the fault

Li, Teng tengli2 at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 21 20:02:19 PDT 2017

Hi,

I have some questions about the normal slip of the points along the fault. Please find the attachments.

I output the slip(:,2) in matlab to obtain the normal slip of all the points along the fault in my model. And I use open_free_surface=False to make sure the initial traction still exists when the fault opens. However, I find certain points have normal slip. In some time steps, they have positive normal slip, while in some other times, they have negative normal slip. I am wondering why they have the normal slip in 2 different directions?

And the second picture is the slip convention in pylith-2.2.0 manual. It is in the page 119/268. I think the meaning is that the positive normal slip is the fault opening direction.

And in the third picture, I see negative values of fault opening implys penetration.

Since the penetration is never allowed, I wonder why we have both positive and negative slip results? Is it due to the incomplete or wrong .vtk output?

And is there a way to see the fault opening using Paraview? I think using Paraview to visualize those points can help me figure out the meaning of their normal slips.

Hope for your reply!

Best,
Teng

Teng Li

Master Candidate in Structures

205 North Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL. 61801

Phone:(217)8196210, Email: tengli2 at illinois.edu