[CIG-SHORT] Question about PETSc

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Aug 25 13:23:34 PDT 2017

Tu Xiang,

Your geometry is CUBIT/Trelis is not created correctly. You did not cut
the volume with your fault, so there is no interior surface
corresponding to your fault in your volume. If you look at the volume
hierarchy, you will see there are only 6 surfaces, corresponding to the
boundaries of the block.

Exporting the Exodus file gives this warning:

WARNING: The model contains 1665 nodes (and their attached elements)
          that will not be written to the genesis file.
          This may indicate a problem in element block assignments.

If you look at the demo_fault and fault_edge nodesets in ParaView, you
will see they do not match the nodesets in CUBIT/Trelis because the
nodesets in CUBIT/Trelis for the fault are associated with your sheet
body, not the volume.

As we mention in all of our PyLith tutorials, do not ignore warnings and
error messages unless you know they are benign!