[CIG-SHORT] [petsc-maint] some unexpected error about pylith

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 07:57:25 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 9:45 AM, fuqiang shi <shifuqiang121 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear,Sir,
>  I am sorry to disturb you for some running errors about pylith, and I
> have tried all my best to solve them, but no answer.

This is not the PyLith list. You need to mail

  cig-short at geodynamics.org

I have Cc'd it.

Also, you need to send the errors. We cannot hope to debug things without
error output.

>  I planed three scheme (s. below and attachment. At the beginning, I
> think all of them are very simple), but no one can run all 21 examples
> fluently. Especially for "Case 1",all the 21 examples can not run.
>  All these errors confused me, but I don't know how to solve them. Could
> you please give me some suggestion or solution at your earliest convenient ?
>
>  The errors of example3 (Case 3) is also attached (s.attachment).
>  Your consideration and suggestions upon my request will be highly
> appreciated. I am looking forward to your favorable reply at your earliest
> convenience.
>

> Sincerely,
>
>                                                                  Fuqiang
> Shi
>
> Case 1:
> Keep almost all the codes and parameters agree with the provided example,
> only switch the mesh scheme from ‘hexahedral’ to ‘tetahedral’
> The mesh switch code is: volume 1 4 5 6 scheme Tetmesh
> Other code is attached : “example_Hex_to_Tet.jou” , and the model is also
> attached “example_Hex_to_Tet.exo”
> With this model, all the 21 examples can not run any more.

You need to change the reference cell for FEM as well:

[pylithapp.problem.materials.domain]

quadrature.cell = pylith.feassemble.FIATSimplex

> Case 2:
> Keep the model similar to provided example,only give the fault with a
> specialized dip. Other code and parameter agree with the provided example.
> The mesh scheme is same as the provided, only change the mesh size. The
> code is: volume all size 200
> Other code is attached : “mine.jou” , and the model is also attached
> “mine.exo”
> With this model, only the ‘step01.cfg’, ‘step15.cfg’, ‘step16.cfg’,
> ‘step17.cfg’, ‘step18.cfg’, ‘step19.cfg’ can run fluently and give out
> result.

What was the error?

  Matt

> Case 3:
> Keep almost all the code agree with the provided example, only change the
> location of 'material_surface' and the mesh size.

experiments lead.
-- Norbert Wiener