[CIG-SHORT] Initial stress interaction with Dirichlet bc

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Jan 20 14:09:16 PST 2017

Ekaterina,

It sounds like you are trying to do the following:

t=0: Apply Dirichlet BC that constrain the normal displacements on the
+x, -x, +y, and -y boundaries.

t>0: Apply Dirichlet BS on -y boundary constraining the x and y
displacements; apply Dirichlet BC on +y that constrains the y
displacement (constant rate as a function of time).

PyLith does not currently support changing which DOF are constrained as
a function of time.

You can either (a) use a static simulation or initial stresses to create
the stress distribution at t=0 (assuming you have a linear elastic
material) or (b) use Neumann BC in combination with Dirichlet BC.

For (b) I think you would do something like:

i. Neumann BC with normal tractions on -x, +x, and +y.

ii. Dirichlet BC on -y as in t>0 with x displacement compatible with the
compression in the x direction associated with the Neumann BC. Dirichlet
BC on x component of +y as in t>0 compatible with the  compression in
the x direction associated with the compression.

If you have a homogeneous linear isotropic material, then I would just
impose the initial stresses associated with the compression. Otherwise,
I think you will need to use a static simulation and take the output and
apply them as initial stresses.