[CIG-SHORT] Initial stress interaction with Dirichlet bc

Ekaterina Yevgenyevna Bolotskaya bolee at mit.edu
Tue Jan 24 14:49:33 PST 2017

Dear Brad,

I have a Drucker-Prager material.

"You can either (a) use a static simulation or initial stresses to create
the stress distribution at t=0 (assuming you have a linear elastic
material) or (b) use Neumann BC in combination with Dirichlet BC."

I've tried both (a) and (b).

The problem with (a) (initial stresses db in my case) is that Dirichlet bc on +y and -y start working BEFORE the block got compressed from the initial stresses and boundaries themselves stay fixed.

The problem with (b) is that it seems there's no displacement compatible with normal compression. If I compress the -y boundary to any extent the displacement due to normal traction on +x and -x then changes from the original one and I end up with non universal compression.

Thanks!

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov <mailto:cig-short%40geodynamics.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BCIG-SHORT%5D%20Initial%20stress%20interaction%20with%20Dirichlet%20bc&In-Reply-To=%3C9e5899d1-0cfc-bd85-3697-16d578e7c7a8%40usgs.gov%3E>
Fri Jan 20 14:09:16 PST 2017