[CIG-SHORT] Initial stresses for large model

Demian Gomez demiang at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 16:55:51 PST 2017

Dear all,

A few months ago I asked a question about strategies to assign the initial
stresses for a large model. I was originally using a SimpleDB file and Brad
suggested that a SimpleDbGrid provides a much faster interpolation. Here's
the thread:
http://lists.geodynamics.org/pipermail/cig-short/2016-November/002612.html

I am now calculating the initial stresses on a first run (as explained
here:
https://wiki.geodynamics.org/_media/software:pylith:tutorials:cdm2016:pylithtutorial2016_gravity.pdf)
and I want to use them to compute quasi-static co-seismic deformation. I've
looked at generate_statedb.py in the gravity examples, which uses a
SimpleDB file to input the stresses into Pylith. This method, however, will
generate a severe slow down, as discussed in the previous thread.

Is there another strategy to input the initial stresses calculated by the
first Pylith run? I do not want to use a SimpleGridDb because this will
require two interpolations: a first one to generate the grid and a second
one to assign the stresses to each cell. I'm afraid this will lead to
slightly unbalanced stresses generated by the two interpolations.

Thanks,
Demián

--
*Dr. Demián D. Gómez*