[CIG-SHORT] Buried Penny-shaped Fracture Modeling

Farrokh Sheibani farrokh at mit.edu
Mon Mar 20 09:15:53 PDT 2017

Dear Brad and Charles,

Thank you so much for the help regarding my question about modeling nonuniform friction properties distribution.

I have another question about modeling a buried fault. I am trying to model acoustic emission in cylindrical sample due to fault sliding. I want to model a Penny-shaped buried fracture on the surface of a fault. My problem is that Pylith attaches adjacent elements to the boundaries of the Penny-shaped fracture, so the edge of the circular fracture is distorted and the fracture is no longer a planar fracture. I attached a picture of the geometry from Trelis, a picture of distorted circular fracture which comes from Pylith output, and also the jou Trelis input file used for the meshing.

I also put these files in the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oe5s6kpd6o173vd/AADSrIpLZ_IFVEDgDLqpCo_Ha?dl=0

I was wondering if you would help me regarding this problem.

Thank you so much again for all helps!

With best regards,

Farrokh

[cid:19165ac0-5c1c-4cba-964d-f4bb04a6533c at exchange.mit.edu]

Farrokh Sheibani, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Earth Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences; Earth Resources Laboratory
Massachusetts Institute of Technology