[CIG-SHORT] Questions about traction application

Li, Teng tengli2 at illinois.edu
Fri Mar 31 21:07:02 PDT 2017

Hi,
I have a question about applying traction on different faults.
Here is the model description:
#-----------Geometry---------------------
Block size:
5000m * 5000m

Main fault:
(0,-2500) to (0,0)
length:2500m.

Overstressing length: 600m
Overstressing point: (-2500,0). Bottom of the main fault.

Main fault and the secondary fault share a node which is (0,0).

#----------------Initial traction-------------------
And followings are the initial traction file for main fault and secondary fault:

#----------------------------
#------------------Main fault-----------
#SPATIAL.ascii 1
SimpleDB {
  // number of physical properties
  num-values = 2

  // Names and units of physical properties
  value-names =  traction-shear traction-normal
  value-units =  MPa MPa

  // Number of locations where physical properties are given
  // 1 location -> data is uniform -> data dimension is 0
  num-locs = 4
  data-dim = 1

  // Problem is in 2-D
  space-dim = 2

  // Coordinate system (2-D with coordinates in meters)
  cs-data = cartesian {
    to-meters = 1.0
    space-dim = 2
  }
}
// Columns are x, y, traction-shear traction-normal
0.0      -2500.0   31.0  -50.0
0.0      -1900.0   31.0  -50.0
0.0      -1800.0   20.0  -50.0
0.0          0.0   20.0  -50.0

#----------Secondary fault----------------

#SPATIAL.ascii 1
SimpleDB {
  // number of physical properties
  num-values = 2

  // Names and units of physical properties
  value-names =  traction-shear traction-normal
  value-units =  MPa MPa

  // Number of locations where physical properties are given
  // 1 location -> data is uniform -> data dimension is 0
  num-locs = 4
  data-dim = 1

  // Problem is in 2-D
  space-dim = 2

  // Coordinate system (2-D with coordinates in meters)
  cs-data = cartesian {
    to-meters = 1.0
    space-dim = 2
  }
}
// Columns are x, y, traction-shear traction-normal
0      0   31  -50.0
0    400   31  -50.0
0    500   20  -50.0
0    2120  20  -50.0

However, in the plot, I see 20Mpa stress first occur in position about 600m away from point(0,0). I think it should occur at 400-500m. Could you please tell me how to apply initial traction? Or should I use local coordinates system or global coordinates system for both fault?

Thanks!

Teng Li

Master Candidate in Structures

205 North Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL. 61801

Phone:(217)8196210, Email: tengli2 at illinois.edu