[CIG-SHORT] question about Pylith

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 19:56:00 PDT 2017

Dear Xu Bei,

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking for.  If you want a model that includes both dynamic rupture and interseismic deformation, PyLith is not yet able to do that.  If you’re interested in a quasi-static problem over multiple earthquake cycles, that is possible.  We do not have an example that does exactly this, but have a look at examples/2d/subduction/step04.cfg.  This might be enough to get you started.

> On 3/05/2017, at 1:37 PM, 徐备 <2012202140037 at whu.edu.cn> wrote:
>
> To whom it will concern,
>
> My name is Xu Bei. I'm learning Pylith these days and trying to model an integrative and fully dynamic fault of its seismic cycle. The dynamic model of the earthquake cycles is constrained by multiple sets of observations and previous theoretical findings, such as the interseismic slip rate provided by geodesy, the historical catalog of recurrence times and hypocenter locations of Mw 6.0 events.The area with rate-weakening friction, where seismic slip can nucleate, is bounded by rate-strengthening patches. I do not find a similar example in the tutorial, so I am wondering whether Pylith can achieve the functions and whether there is a simple example.
>
> Thanks for your time and help,
> Best regards,
> Xu Bei
>
> Sincerely,
> Xu Bei

Charles Williams I Geodynamic Modeler
GNS Science I Te Pῡ Ao
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon 5010, PO Box 30368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
Ph 0064-4-570-4566 I Mob 0064-22-350-7326 I Fax 0064-4-570-4600
http://www.gns.cri.nz/ <http://www.gns.cri.nz/> I Email: C.Williams at gns.cri.nz <mailto:your.email at gns.cri.nz>