[CIG-SHORT] debugging rate-state quasi-static simulation

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Nov 21 15:38:42 PST 2017

Ekaterina,

I am still baffled by the behavior of the linear solver. The linear
(KSP) solve within the nonlinear solver (SNES) is taking several hundred
iterations and it looks like your absolute tolerance is around 1.0e-17.
This is where I would start your debugging. I forgot that the JSON
parameter file doesn't include the PETSc parameters. Can you send your
.cfg file with the solver parameters you are using?

I am not sure what you mean by "artifacts" and fluctuations. With rate
and state friction, I have seen the slip jump forward and backward when
the nonlinear solve has trouble converging. When this happens, I think
the solution is poorly resolved. Either the spatial and/or temporal
discretizations are too large and/or the rate-state friction parameters
need to be adjusted to help regularize the solution. For example, using
a laboratory value of the Dc parameter with kilometer sized cells will
almost certainly have convergence problems due to inadequate resolution
of the cohesive zone.

Sorry for the delay in responding.