[CIG-SHORT] Pylith's error including `dtStable > 0.0' failed

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Aug 17 08:23:11 PDT 2018

Kejing Huang,

The error you are getting means that the stable time step computed for a
material is zero or negative. This is a very unusual error. You did not
include the .cfg files with the material info, so I cannot tell what
types of materials you are using. If you are using a linear Maxwell
viscoelastic material, be sure to check your viscosity to make sure it
gives reasonable Maxwell relaxation times. If you have a powerlaw
viscoelastic material, then check its parameters as well to make sure
they are reasonable.

I recommend first trying all linearly elastic materials to rule out
setup and mesh errors. Once that works and the results look okay, then
add a viscoelastic material one at a time. I would also work with a
coarse resolution version of the mesh and then switch to a finer
resolution once you have these errors fixed.