[CIG-SHORT] Pylith turn off vtk writers

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 20:37:23 PDT 2018

Dear Francisco,

Are you talking about the VTK writer for the solution, for the state variables, or something else?  First of all, I would not really recommend using the VTK writer for real problems.  You should use the HDF5 writer instead.  For example, if you look in examples/3d/hex8/step06.cfg, you will see something like:

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# output
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Give basename for output of solution over domain.
[pylithapp.problem.formulation.output.domain]
# We specify that output occurs in terms of a given time frequency, and
# ask for output every 50 years.
output_freq = time_step
time_step = 50.0*year

# We are using HDF5 output so we must change the default writer.
writer = pylith.meshio.DataWriterHDF5
writer.filename = output/step06.h5

This will switch to the HDF5 writer (binary and uses less space).  If you want output less frequently, you can also do that with settings like this.  In general, if you don’t want a particular type of output, you would turn off all the output fields (e.g., vertex_data_fields, vertex_info_fields, cell_data_fields, cell_info_fields).  If you are trying to do something else, let us know.

> On 23/08/2018, at 12:22 PM, Francisco Delgado <fjd49 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear Pylith developers, how can I turn off the vtk writer? They take a lot of time and waste a lot of hard drive space.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Francisco Delgado
> PhD, Geological Sciences
> Cornell University
> https://fdelgadodelapuente.wixsite.com/home <https://fdelgadodelapuente.wixsite.com/home>

Charles Williams I Geodynamic Modeler
GNS Science I Te Pῡ Ao
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon 5010, PO Box 30368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
Ph 0064-4-570-4566 I Mob 0064-22-350-7326 I Fax 0064-4-570-4600
http://www.gns.cri.nz/ <http://www.gns.cri.nz/> I Email: C.Williams at gns.cri.nz <mailto:your.email at gns.cri.nz>