[CIG-SHORT] Pylith-running mpi on cluster

Matthew Knepley knepley at rice.edu
Wed Feb 7 04:01:54 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Charles Williams <willic3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Niloufar,
>
> It is hard to diagnose your problem without more information.  Information
> that would be helpful includes:
>
> 1.  What size of problem are you running?
> 2.  What solver settings are you using?
> 3.  Is this a linear or nonlinear problem?
> 4.  Is this a 2D or 3D problem?
> 5.  What does the run log show?  This will include convergence information
> and a PETSc summary of calls, etc.
>
> There are probably other things it would be good to know, but this should
> get us started.

In addition to the points Charles makes, it is very useful to understand
how performance is affected by architecture.
The advantages of multiple cores are very often oversold by vendors. Here
is a useful reference:

  http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#computers

I recommend running the streams program, which can be found in the PETSc
installation.

  Thanks,

     Matt