[CIG-SHORT] Output normal and shear stress on a fault plane in .h5 format

Josimar Alves da Silva jsilva.mit at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 12:37:03 PST 2018

Hi Brad,

Could you please let me know if PyLith can output directly normal and shear
stress on a fault plane ? Or do we have to post process PyLith outputs to
get these values ?

I have the impression that when I set the fault output for
vertex_data_field = [traction]  I get X,Y,Z values that do not correspond
to the fault normal, for example (Please confirm).

Note that I tried something like vertex_data_field = [traction_normal] but
it seems that this is not available (see error below),

thank you
Josimar

#### This outputs X,Y,Z tractions on a fault plane
[pylithapp.problem.interfaces.Thrust_fault.output]
##vertex_data_fields = [traction, slip ]
vertex_data_fields = [traction, slip]
skip = 0
writer = pylith.meshio.DataWriterHDF5
writer.filename = output/Thrust_fault.h5

#### Error message when I set vertex_data_field=[traction_normal]

ValueError: Requested fields not available for output.

Data provider: 'faultcohesivedyn'

Field type: 'vertex'

Data type: 'data'

Available fields:  'slip' 'slip_rate' 'traction' 'cumulative_slip'
'previous_slip'

Fields not available:  'traction_normal'