[CIG-SHORT] Problem with fault intersection in 3D simulations

Josimar Alves da Silva jsilva.mit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 09:12:08 PST 2018

Hi Brad, Charles and Matt

I am having trouble in running a 3D PyLith simulation with 2 intersecting
faults and I am wondering if you can help me. The problem occurs when I run
the simulation with both faults on the domain. Note that I have already run
the simulation with each fault independently and found no problems.

The error message says the following (see also attached the full log
containing the  error message ):

RuntimeError: Error occurred while adjusting topology to create cohesive
cells for fault 'Thrust_fault'.

Error in topology of mesh associated with symmetry of adjacency information.

See attached also figures for information regarding how I am defining
the fault buried edges, specially regarding the intersection part. Note
that neither  fault goes all the up to the surface and they terminated
inside the domain.

I know this problem was often discussed to be related to the mesh element
quality. An histogram of the mesh quality for all elements on my domain
show that the mesh quality is as required for PyLith (< 3 ).

If it helps, I am attaching also the configuration file (.cfg) containing
the information regarding my simulation set up. Note  the that I am
constrained to use pylith version 2.1.3, however using version 2.2  did not
give a different error message.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to solve this
problem.

thank you

Josimar