[CIG-SHORT] Time varying shear stress on a fault for time independent simulations.

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Feb 22 11:38:26 PST 2018

Josimar,

Look at the residual values during the solve. I think this is a solver
tolerance issue. You will probably want to reduce the relative solver
tolerance if the solution you are getting is not accurate enough.

My guess is that in the second time step you are simply picking up from
where you left off on the solve in the first time step and getting
smaller residuals. This is an effect of having an initial large residual
in the elastic prestep with convergence due to a relative residual
reduction and then starting with a smaller residual in the second time
step and reducing it to a lower value.