[CIG-SHORT] The pylith_benchmarks reports errors

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 15 19:10:03 PDT 2018

On 3/15/18 4:52 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 6:31 AM, tu xiang <tuxiang2016 at outlook.com
> <mailto:tuxiang2016 at outlook.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Matt,
>     The version I am running is Trelis V16.0.3 Linux.X64 .
>
>     According to the examples provided by Pylith, I find that there two
>     kinds of methods for setting vertex spacing with increasing spacing
>     away from fault. I wonder which method will be better for a
>     three-dimensional non-planar fault?
>

> I do not know the answer. I would try both and look at the condition of
> the cells produced.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>     Matt
>

>     One is that you can export the fault surface into Exodus file and
>     then add the  variable  of cellsize which specifies the distance
>     between vertices of a cell edge into the Exodus file.

We export the entire mesh, not just the fault surface, and add the
variable cellsize to the Exodus file to specify the distance between
vertices of a cell edge.

The two methods can give equivalent results, so it is not easy to say
which is better. Ultimately, the method gets you a sufficient quality
mesh the fastest is the "best" approach for you. It really depends on
the complexity of your geometry and how quickly you setup and implement
either approach.