[CIG-SHORT] PyLith Dynamic Simulations

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon May 7 13:40:21 PDT 2018

Maryam,

Have you looked at the PyLith JGR paper? It and the manual have pretty
much all the information about forumulation except the nitty gritty
details that are in the code itself.

Aagaard, B. T., M. G. Knepley, and C. A. Williams (2013), A domain
decomposition approach to implementing fault slip in finite-element
models of quasi-static and dynamic crustal deformation, Journal of
Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 118, 3059–3079, doi: 10.1002/jgrb.50217.

In the new version of PyLith (which includes multiphysics), we are using
the PETSc time stepping object to manage the time stepping. We also plan
to change the meaning of the Lagrange multiplier for spontaneous
(dynamic) fault rupture. So several things will be changing.