[CIG-SHORT] Run on cluster using SLURM

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Sep 28 13:59:55 PDT 2018

Bing,

There is no scheduler named slurm, so I suspect that PyLith just used
the same settings as the default. This may affect how the job was
distributed among the nodes, or the default scheduler may work by
coincidence.

We use domain decomposition strategy for parallelism, so to see a
difference running in parallel, you need an appropriately sized problem.
If the problem is small to medium sized, running on a machine with a
faster CPU and faster memory usually provides the best speedup. This
assumes you are already using the appropriate predonditioner, solver
settings, and discretization for your particular problem. You may want
to review the online tutorial on solver settings (see Session V in the
2016 PyLith tutorial https://wiki.geodynamics.org/software:pylith:cdm2016).