[aspect-devel] aspect: error related to changing number of processors

Timo Heister heister at math.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 30 13:53:45 PDT 2012

Dear Magali,

> Exception on processing:
> Iterative method reported convergence failure in step 7551 with residual 3.15628e+07
> Aborting!
>
> (note it was only on step 59, but is stating it has an error in step 7551 ??)

This means that the linear solver did not converge after 7551 iterations.

There can be several reasons for this happening. Does this happen in
the same time step every time you run it with the same number of
cores? Can you increase the number of graphical outputs and look at a
solution directly before this crash?

> I've attached the run output file (where the error is), the parameter file,
> and the c and h files for the temperature boundary conditions for the box convection
> (same as earlier this summer).

I tried it here and it runs fine for me with 4 processors. Do you have
any other changes by any chance? The code finished in 2 time steps for
me:
*** Timestep 1:  t=3.35488e+09 years
*** Timestep 2:  t=1.1674e+10 years

I increased the final time and it worked for a couple hundred time steps.

Best,
Timo

http://www.math.tamu.edu/~heister/