[aspect-devel] Compositional fields with different densities and viscosities

Glerum, A.C. (Anne) A.C.Glerum at uu.nl
Mon Dec 10 08:18:12 PST 2012

Hi all,

For my PhD project I am working on modelling subduction with Aspect. I would like to start with a simple linear viscous subduction benchmark including eight materials. The materials all have different densities and different viscosities. As far as I understand, with material model "Simple model" it is possible to define eight compositional fields, but not to give them all different densities and/or viscosities. In the input file one can set "Density differential for compositional field 1" and the Composition viscosity prefactor, but then they apply to all fields; you cannot specify them for each field individually.

Can you tell me whether my understanding is correct, and if so, whether you intend to make it possible to define multiple compositional fields coupled to different densities/viscosities from the input file? I would guess the alternative is to hardwire the materials into the material model myself.

Thank you so much for your help,

Anne Glerum

PS. Cedric Thieulot and I have looked into the Van Keken et al. 1997 benchmark some more after the stabilisation parameters for advection were adjusted; I would like to show you some results later.