[aspect-devel] Question regarding heat flux output

Timo Heister heister at math.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 22 19:09:17 PDT 2012

Hi John,

> Above, the heat flux through the boundary parts is listed in terms of Watts
> (I assume "W" is for watts).  Are these values in fact the heat flux values
> integrated over the length of each boundary?

Yes, for each boundary indicator we compute the heat flux through that
part of the surface and W stands for Watts.

Let us check if the units are correct:
The formula used is  \int thermal_conductivity * (\nabla T) * normal * dS
Thermal conductivity has units W / (K*m), the derivative has K/s, [dS]
= m^(dim-1).

@Wolfgang: why is the answer here in Watt? I get W/s or W * m/s with
the formula above.

http://www.math.tamu.edu/~heister/