[aspect-devel] Question regarding heat flux output

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 22 19:31:23 PDT 2012

Hi Timo,

Thanks for the quick reply! From heat_flux_stastics.cc (lines 96-103) there is

local_normal_flux
+=
  -thermal_conductivity *
  (temperature_gradients[q] *
  fe_face_values.normal_vector(q)) *
  fe_face_values.JxW(q);

Is this the equation you are referencing below?  If it is, I'm not sure what normal_vector(q) and JxW refer to.  Is normal_vector(q) a directional multiplier?

If the only dimensional values in the equation above are thermal conductivity (W/(K*m)) and temperature (K), we would get the correct units (W/m).  The listed output value of Watts, though, would have to be the integrated heat flux over each boundary.

John