[aspect-devel] mktemp failure

Eric Heien emheien at ucdavis.edu
Wed May 2 13:56:13 PDT 2012

I'm trying to run Aspect on the Lonestar cluster at TACC.  It seems to work fine if I run a single process on the head node, but when I submit to multiple nodes I get the following error:

*** Timestep 0:  t=0 seconds
   Solving temperature system... 15 iterations.
   Rebuilding Stokes preconditioner...
   Solving Stokes system... 20 iterations.

   Postprocessing:
mktemp: cannot create temp file /tmp/566558.1.development/tmp.qMtGl26621: No such file or directory
mktemp: cannot create temp file /tmp/566558.1.development/tmp.lCiCl26628: No such file or directory
mktemp: cannot create temp file /tmp/566558.1.development/tmp.oxSoo26625: No such file or directory
mktemp: cannot create temp file /tmp/566558.1.development/tmp.yLbPF26629: No such file or directory

I'm pretty sure this is caused by the temporary file creation in source/postprocess/visualization.cc (line 416).  When I directly call mktemp from the submission script it seems to work fine, so maybe the forked child process is not inheriting the correct permissions?  Does anyone have an idea why this would happen?

Also, is there a particular reason why Aspect forks a process to call mktemp instead of just calling mkstemp in the standard C library?

Thanks,

-Eric