[aspect-devel] Invalid parameters

Eric Heien emheien at ucdavis.edu
Wed Mar 6 13:31:16 PST 2013

We recently ran into an issue with Aspect where it will accept parameter files with (Refinement fraction)+(Coarsening fraction) > 1.  There is an Assert() to catch this inside deal.II, but this gets removed in optimized mode.  Putting a similar Assert() in parameters.cc doesn't work for the same reason, and I believe the Assert() calls currently used for parameter checking won't catch parameter file problems in optimized mode.

Should these Assert() functions be changed to something that always get called in order to avoid running simulations with incorrect parameters?  Since parameters are only read once, there's no speed benefit from optimizing these out as occurs with Assert().

Thanks,

-Eric