[aspect-devel] ASPECT 0.2 released

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Sat May 4 10:56:45 PDT 2013

We are pleased to announce the release of ASPECT 0.2. ASPECT is the Advanced
Solver for Problems in Earth ConvecTion. It uses modern numerical methods such
as adaptive mesh refinement, multigrid, and a modular software design to
provide a fast, flexible and extensible mantle convection solver. ASPECT is
available from

                    http://aspect.dealii.org/

This release adds a significant number of new features, including:
   - support for active and passive "compositional" fields (courtesy of
     Juliane Dannberg)
   - more flexibility to output only some variables, drastically reducing
     the amount of data written
   - support for user-defined mesh refinement criteria
   - support for GPlates-generated velocity boundary conditions (courtesy
     of Rene Gassmoeller)
   - support for passive tracer particles
   - provision of an "introspection" module as part of the source code
     to make it easier and less error-prone to write extension code
In addition, the manual has been significantly expanded, with many new
cookbooks, and we have fixed a number of bugs. A list of changes is
available here:

  http://aspect.dealii.org/doc/doxygen/changes_between_0_81_and_0_82.html

Wolfgang Bangerth, Timo Heister, and many other contributors.

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu