[aspect-devel] Progress in writing the mantle convection code Aspect

Magali Billen mibillen at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 16 20:01:37 PDT 2013

We are modeling sinking of the oceanic lithosphere into the mantle (subduction). The lithosphere is not just a thermal
boundary layer, but also has compositional layering: the basaltic crust, a harzburgitic layer (mostly olivine) beneath that
and then normal mantle. Each of these compositions undergoes phase changes at different depths depending on its composition.
Also each layer has different rheologic properties (harzburgite is dryer than mantle so stronger, basalt has a lower viscosity, etc...).
So, this is what we'd like to be able model in Aspect. We've been doing this in CitcomS using tracer particles for each field but
it requires a lot of particles and is computationally expensive.

It would great to see how the stabilization parameter affected this.
-Magali