[aspect-devel] periodic domains

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Wed Sep 11 08:53:23 PDT 2013

> Ian Rose added support for this in Aspect (thanks!). There is an
> example in cookbooks/ that shows how to use it.

Nice!

The way this is currently done can only work for Cartesian boxes because (i)
the GeometryModel::Interface::get_periodic_boundary_pairs() function returns
something that deals with Cartesian directions, and (ii) in core.cc we now
call the version of DoFTools::make_periodicity_constraints() that expects
this. This way, we can not deal with periodic boundary conditions on, for
example, the sides of a quarter 2d hyper shell.

Would it make sense to change the interface of get_periodic_boundary_pairs()
so that it returns the output of GridTools::identify_periodic_face_pairs() and
then in core.cc just call the other version of
DoFTools::make_periodicity_constraints()?

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu