[aspect-devel] Mantle Convection group / greetings from the newest member

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Mon Dec 1 13:15:15 PST 2014

Ömer,

> I am a graduate student in Bosphorus University, (Istanbul) studying
> Geophysics, especially convection in the earth’s mantle.
> Having started reading the article “*Convection in the earth’s mantle:
> towards a numerical simulation, by D.P McKENZEI, J.M. ROBERTS and
> N.O.WEISS”*,  (It may be the oldest comprehensive paper in this field )
> I am highly eager to contribute on the works that has been done so far.
>
> If you have any advice about the study material on mantle convection
> that I should consider, please let me know.

Mantle convection is a wide and mature field. There is no single paper
anyone would agree upon is the logical next step for you. But I will
nevertheless suggest that you take a look at the two volumes of books by
Schubert, Turcotte and Olson "Mantle Convection in the Earth and
Planets". They give a pretty comprehensive overview of the field. There
are a number of other, more recent books about numerical computations
also worth checking out.

Best
  Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu