[aspect-devel] ASPECT 1.1 released

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at math.tamu.edu
Sun Jun 22 17:12:09 PDT 2014

[I'm resending this because it apparently did not go through to this mailing
list when it was first sent on June 1.]

We are pleased to announce the release of ASPECT 1.1. ASPECT is the Advanced
Solver for Problems in Earth ConvecTion. It uses modern numerical methods such
as adaptive mesh refinement, multigrid, and a modular software design to
provide a fast, flexible and extensible mantle convection solver. ASPECT is
available from

                    http://aspect.dealii.org/

This release combines the incredible number of changes made during the
ASPECT hackathon in May 2014, as well as other changes made since the
last release. In particular, it includes the following changes:
- fixes to Stokes solver tolerance (users might need to change settings!)
- free surface computations
- optional direct solver support
- new material models (multi-component, simple compressible, ...)
- finer mesh refinement control using plugins
- updates to dynamic topography postprocessors
- updates to gplates boundary conditions
- compositional fields can now react with each other
- new cookbooks: reaction between fields, free surfaces
- improved PETSc support
- boundary conditions can now be time dependent
- support for radiogenic heating models

Wolfgang Bangerth, Timo Heister, and many other contributors.

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu