[aspect-devel] Help needed with setting up an EBA benchmark

Ian Rose ian.r.rose at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 18:07:57 PDT 2014

Hi Wolfgang and all,

Excuse the overly verbose answer, I'm talking this out as much for me as
anyone.  So, thermodynamically, the adiabatic heating term is sensitive to
the total temperature rather than differences in temperature (as in, for
instance, the buoyancy).  I see that at the top of page three they have
defined T_0 to be the dimensional surface temperature over the temperature
scale, \Delta T.  In the anelastic case there would be an adiabatic profile
starting from T_0, but in this case, because it is incompressible, the
reference temperature is T_0 all the way down.

The way it shakes out in these equations, T_0 becomes a free parameter that
can increase or decrease the effect of adiabatic heating on the model.  For
the benchmark case, they use T_0 = 273/3000, like you said, but I could put
in anything, really.  All this is a long way of saying that in your
parameter file you have set the boundary conditions for temperature to go
from zero to one at the bottom.  To my eyes, it looks like you can
reproduce the conditions of the benchmark by simply changing the
temperature boundary conditions to 0.091 - 1.091.

I'm not sure if that made sense, but hopefully it did.
Best,
Ian