[aspect-devel] log file

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Fri Jul 10 14:55:41 PDT 2015

On 07/10/2015 04:49 PM, Thorsten Becker wrote:
> As Timo said, the code is presumably loading a spherical harmonic expansion
> via a library package to evaluate a single point, each time for each
> integration point. Besides efficiency questions, there's no point in doing
> that, of course, if the initial models are not parametrized as spherical
> harmonics. I think it would be preferable to load a 3d grid once and then
> have a simple (eg bi linear) interpolation routine spit out values at
> desired locations. Even with a clunky importation (eg via slices of Netcdf
> grids, read by each processor, as we do for citcom), this shouldn't take
> more than a few tens of seconds after the I/O  for a ~1million elements.

Right. And there are deal.II classes that can already do all of that as long
as you give them the x-, y-, and z-coordinates of the grid and the values.

I do think I recall that the S40RTS model is indeed described in terms of
spherical harmonics as it is derived from a seismic model (where,
unfortunately, using spherical harmonics seems to be prevalent -- although it
makes absolutely no sense to do so). It may be worthwhile for efficiency
reasons to re-sample these data sets differently.

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu