[aspect-devel] free surf & non linear iterations

Ian Rose ian.rose at berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 17 12:55:47 PDT 2015

Hi Cedric,

The main issue is that I have mostly been developing with basic IMPES, and
I have not tried to generalize the free surface computations to the
nonlinear solvers.  There should not be any difficulty in principle with
using it with other solvers, so long as you only advect the free surface
once per timestep (rather than once per stokes solve).  This is certainly
something we could look at during the hackathon, though you could try to
call free_surface_execute() at the beginning of the iterated Stokes block
and see if it works.

Also, I see you are using  3D model there.  I have not done a lot of
calculations in 3D with the free surface, and do not know how well it
works.  It is on the todo list.

Best,
Ian