[aspect-devel] Call for help with liking errors when building deal.ii

Qingwen Zhang zhangqingwen at live.cn
Sat Mar 21 04:43:27 PDT 2015

Hello, all,

I have a problem with the liking of libml.a during installing of deal.II
with trilinos enabled, with is necessary for ASPECT. Installing fails
for many time, both on ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04.

Here is how I configure deal.II before making:

    $ mkdir build
    $ cd build
    $ cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$DEAL_II_DIR \
    -D DEAL_II_WITH_MPI=ON -D MPI_DIR=$MPI_DIR \
    -D DEAL_II_WITH_P4EST=ON -D P4EST_DIR=$P4EST_DIR \
    -D DEAL_II_WITH_TRILINOS=ON -D TRILINOS_DIR=$TRILINOS_DIR \
    -D DEAL_II_COMPONENT_DOCUMENTATION=ON \
    ../

The environment variables $MPI_DIR, $P4EST_DIR, $TRILINOS_DIR are the
directories in which mipch v3.5.0, p4est v1.1 and trilions_v11.8.1 is
installed, respectively.

The errors informations printed when building finish is here:

    /usr/bin/ld: /home/f/trilions_v11.8.1/lib/libml.a(ml_comm.c.o):
    relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.4' can not be used when
    making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
    /home/f/trilions_v11.8.1/lib/libml.a: error adding symbols: Bad value
    make[2]: *** [lib/libdeal_II.g.so.8.2.1] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [source/CMakeFiles/deal_II.g.dir/all] Error 2
    [100%] Built target doxygen
    make: *** [all] Error 2

If trilinos is disabled, building of deal.II work fine, but without
trilinos, deal.II and aspect will not work properly. In short,
installing of deal.ii solely doesn't fail, deal.ii + trilinos fails.

So the problem seems to be with trilinos, which contains libml.a that is
compiled without -fPIC during installing of trilinos. Therefore, I tried
to reinstall trilinos after libxml is install beforehand from source
code (libxml2-2.8.0.tar.gz). Then, I re-configure and re-make deal.II,
errors listed above come again when making of deal.ii finishes.

Have this problem happen to you? What should I do?

Best regards,
Qingwen

--
Qingwen ZHANG
Key Laboratory of Isotope Geochronology and Geochemistry
zhangqingwen at live.cn