[aspect-devel] A weird error with MPI postprocessing

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Mon Feb 29 13:47:31 PST 2016

Felipe,

>      On average, what percentage of the Aspect output files (pvtu for example)
>   can you actually and successfully read in Paraview? I mean with no errors.
>
> I know errors can come from the cluster one is using, but also from bugs in
> the software; so it's hard to keep track, and also hard and tedious to advance..
>
>      I am honestly feeling a little bit discouraged on all this effort I have
> put in Aspect. It's just that I can hardly advance on my research., I have
> tons of models I wanna run, but I hardly succeed..

What concretely are the problems you are seeing?

The thing is that the majority of us regularly do very large computations, get
lots of VTU files, and visualize them successfully. See for example of the
videos posted here:
   http://aspect.dealii.org/gallery.html
Most of them were run on hundreds to a few thousands of cores.

Of course that doesn't mean that *all* of us are lucky enough to have clusters
that work right away, but most of us seem to, and most of the rest have
eventually gotten their runs to work ultimately.

Best
  Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu