[aspect-devel] Initial conditions for free-surface

Ian Rose ian.rose at berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 13 08:25:40 PST 2016

Hi Wolfgang,

It is possible to provide initial conditions, and without modifying the
FreeSurfaceHandler. What you would need to do is create a new GeometryModel
that has the initial shape that you require, and then flag the appropriate
boundary indicator as a free surface. Generally speaking, you can start
from a geometry model that has close to the right shape, then perturb it as
necessary.

For an example, you can look at what I have done with the ReboundBox
geometry model that is in
`benchmark/crameri_et_al/case_1/crameri_benchmark_1.cc` which sets up a
Cartesian box with sinusoidal topography for a relaxation benchmark.

Hope this helps!
Best,
Ian