[aspect-devel] Aspect hangs after several time steps

Lev Karatun lev.karatun at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 03:01:01 PST 2016

Hi,

(I already reported the problem last year (
http://lists.geodynamics.org/pipermail/aspect-devel/2015-June/000919.html),
but at that moment it wasn't as severe. Now I moved to the higher
resolution models and it has gotten much worse)

The problem is - Aspect hangs after a (seemingly) random timestep without
producing any error. I ran several tests in attempts to narrow down the
problem, and this is what I found:
- Neither assigning a value to $TMP/$TMPDIR or adding a "Number of grouped
files" parameter helps
- Disabling visualization postprocessor doesn't help
- Running Apsect in development mode produced the same results: hanging
without any error messages
- Restarting the hanging simulation from a checkpoint helps partially, it
goes past the timestep at which in hung, but then after it hangs again
- Disabling free surface (changing the top boundary to free-slip) makes the
simulation hang after 1 time step
- Changing CFL number affects how long the simulation runs before hanging:
at 0.05 is hangs at timestep 13, at 0.1 - 56, at 0.2 it ran without hanging
up to time step 153 (with disabled visualization though)

Could you please help me solve this problem? It's really hurting the
progress of my research.
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lev Karatun.