[aspect-devel] The problem of setting up initial composition

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Tue Jan 26 05:57:27 PST 2016

Nan,

> I can calculate the composition field now. I added one composition to
> shell_simple_3d.prm for a test. What I got is very confusing(attached)! When I
> plot the initial c_1 contour with c_1=0.9, I got this figure. I do not
> understand the rhombus shape anomaly? Is this related to the thermal initial
> condition? I expect a flat surface.

What you get to see in the visualization program is not the initial condition
you describe, but the function *as interpolated onto your mesh*. You are using
a mesh that is adaptively refined, i.e., there are small and large cells in
the area where your initial condition drops from >0.9 to <0.9, and
consequently the surface looks like it does. Does this make sense?

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu