[aspect-devel] The input for limiting the mesh refinement area

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Wed Jan 27 18:36:32 PST 2016

Nan,

> I try to limit the mesh refinement to a 3D spherical cap within a global
> spherical shell. More specifically, What I want is that, given 4 points on the
> Earth surface and 2 depths, the refinement will be limited in this spherical
> cap. If I remembered correctly, Timo had done this two years ago?
>
> When I tried to find this input information, I grep mesh refinement boundary.
> I found something like "Boundary refinement indicators" in
> tests/refinement_boundary.prm. While, it is under "set Strategy = boundary". I
> am not sure this is what I want, because I still want "set Strategy =
> temperature".
>
> I wonder how to set up the space limit for the mesh refinement?

I don't think there's a plugin that already does what you want to do. But it
shouldn't be very difficult to write one.

There are two kinds of mesh refinement plugins:
- Ones that compute error indicators; these are run first, and you already
have the one that you want, namely the temperature one
- Ones that run second and that add or remove refinement and coarsening flags.
You will want to write one of this kind that simply removes the refinement
flags in all of those areas that you don't care about.

Take a look at those refinement plugins that define a function
tag_additional_cells() to get an idea of how to do what you want.

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu