[aspect-devel] Problem: Iterative advection solver does not converge

FELIPE ORELLANA ROVIROSA f_orellana at berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 6 13:09:15 PDT 2016

 Hi,

     Thanks a lot for your replies.

     Thanks Wolfgang, I would have had a hard time understanding the
magnitude of the residuals, which are proportional to the cell size (here
in m3).

     My system is a brick box, conceptually not too different from the 3D
example. Just different initial boundary conditions for T, and it has
inhomogeneous Dirichlet boundary conditions on top, plus free slip
everywhere else.

     I have already 'mastered' this system on Aspect, using unitary
dimensions for all the quantities. Now I want to make it 'real'. Of course
I have kept an eye on the Ra number.

     The parameters are so many, that I wanted to avoid going one-by-one
changing them from the 3D box example. Now I am paying the price..

     The velocities at the end of my computation start to increase
unphysically, up to several m/s, for I expect them to remain below 1 m/s.

I will try to lower this down..

thanks,

Felipe