[aspect-devel] Problem: Iterative advection solver does not converge

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Mon Jun 6 13:11:38 PDT 2016

> However, I think the definition of the residual may be a bit different than
> what I’m used to:
> r = || v_i - v_i-1  ||  / || v_i  ||
> where v_i is the current velocities and v_i-1 are the previous values.

The "residual" (literally: "what is left") in iterative solver methods is
typically the quantity
   r_i = A x_i - b
(or the norm of this vector), where x_i is the solution vector in the i-th
iteration. It can be "large" because it carries physical units. As a
consequence, its numerical size is meaningless unless compared to, say, the
norm of the right hand side itself.

For example, we typically terminate iterative solver if the condition
is satisfied. What is relevant is not whether the numeric value on the left is
large or small, but whether it is large or small compared to ||b||.

Does that help?
Cheers

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu