[aspect-devel] How to use Compositional initial conditions/Ascii data model

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Wed May 18 09:08:43 PDT 2016

Hello Liu,
most often this error indicates that something is wrong with the format
of the input file, e.g. the number of given points does not match the
number of points in the header line, the number of columns is wrong, or
one value in one column is missing. Please have a look and check in
detail what you changed compared to the original file. In case you do
not find anything, can you try to send a simple example model and file
so I can reproduce the problem? If I can reproduce the problem I can try
to improve the error checks inside the code and provide more useful output.

The third column indicates the value of the first compositional field at
the particular coordinate. In the example case it is between 0 and 1,
because it is a parametrization for how much material of a given
composition is in one place (and for 2 compositions this can be done
with one field between 0 and 1). If you have more different fields you
need to add additional columns to the file (one per field). One might
think adding additional compositions as larger values for one field
would work, but in practice it does not, because if you mix field 0 and
2, you would end up with composition 1, which is clearly not correct.
That is why one usually uses (n-1) compositional fields to represent n
compositions.

Best,
Rene