[aspect-devel] Some helps about ASPECT

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Thu May 19 14:22:50 PDT 2016

Hi Elisa,

Welcome to ASPECT!

> If I create a lithosphere age file (a .txt file with different ages in) and I input it, is ASPECT able to read it?

Yes, you can certainly setup ASPECT to do this.  I know of one person who has done something similar to what you describe.  To get to know the code better, it would be a good exercise to work through this.

As guidance for reading in data for initial conditions, look at the section of the manual (and relevant source code) that describes reading in temperature boundary data ‘Boundary temperature model/Ascii data model’.

Note that you can also create functions defined within the input file that can create lateral and depth-dependent temperature field.  See ‘Initial conditions/Function’ parameter section in the manual.  You could distinguish between continental and oceanic domains in this manner as well.

Cheers,
John

Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis