[aspect-devel] Dynamic Topography vs Topography

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Wed Nov 9 18:37:02 PST 2016

Hi Payman,

surprisingly (also to me) ASPECT currently does not have a postprocessor
that outputs a map of the topography of a deformed mesh. The closest
thing is the visualization/depth postprocessor that will output the
depth of every point of the domain. However, the `depth()` function of
the geometry model is bounded to (0,maximal_depth), so it will not
output positive topography correctly. If you would be willing to spend
some time helping create a postprocessor for topography that would
certainly be a useful addition. Let us know if you would have the time
and willingness to do so, we could then discuss the details of the
implementation (always easier to discuss that first, before writing
something and then reworking it many times).

Depending on your intended purpose you would either need to create a
general postprocessor that outputs the topography into a separate file
(as for example postprocess/heat_flux_map), or a visualization
postprocessor that adds another field to the .vtu output of the solution
(as for example postprocess/visualization/depth). However, there might
be some challenges to make it work for arbitrary model geometries.

Let me know what you think about that,

Rene